The Western Cape Education Department on Wednesday said a seven-year-old victim of an alleged sexual assault and the older boy accused of the attack were both receiving counselling.
A Cape Town mother said she had opened a case with police after her daughter reported that she had been raped at her primary school, allegedly by a boy in Grade Three.
Police and the school were investigating the incident.
The provincial education department's Bronagh Casey said officials were in contact with the families of both children.
"Our priority is ensuring that the victim has relevant support and counseling. We've been in contact with the parent and counselling support has been offered to the alleged victim. However, she is receiving it at a separate medical institution at the moment," she said.
Casey added that once the investigations of both the police and the school were complete, the school's governing body would take further action.
"The school is currently working closely with the investigating officer and they are conducting their own separate investigation. At this stage, they do not see the alleged perpetrator as a threat to the other learners and are closely monitoring the situation."
|Crime Date/Time:||23 Jan 2012, 00:01 AM|
|Reported Date:||26 Jan 2012, 10:01 AM|