Teen begs killers to spare her life

By Graeme Hosken
Crime Reporter

A Pretoria father stood frozen behind a security gate, listening to a woman screaming for help... little did he know it was his future daughter-in-law being strangled to death.

Fearing for his life if he went to help, a desperate Lucas Msiza stood and listened as Lungile Dlamini, 19, begged her attackers to spare her life, praying she would survive.

Moments later her killers - believed to have followed her from the Waltloo train station - fled, leaving her half-naked body sprawled on a pavement outside Ngakeng surgery in Eersterus.

Dlamini, who dropped out of school earlier this year, was killed on Sunday night shortly after she returned to Pretoria from her brother's home in Tembisa where she had spent the weekend.

It is suspected that the killers also raped the petite teenager.

Now, Msiza, who lives on the same property as Dlamini's family, has to live for the rest of his life knowing that he could have saved his son's fiancée. Msiza discovered Dlamini's body when he left early yesterday morning to join a queue at the surgery less than 300m from their homes.

Msiza, choking on his tears, described the terror of listening to the dying Dlamini's final moments.

"I was inside my house when my friend came to call me. It was just after 10pm, when my friend told me a woman was being attacked.

"I ran to the gate. I could not believe it. I did not know what to do. I wanted to help, but I was scared if I went outside I would be shot and killed," he said.

He tried to phone the police but had no airtime on his cellphone.

Reliving the horror of seeing Dlamini's body, Msiza said when he saw her he wanted to die.

"I can see her face and hear her screaming in my head. I hear the screams over and over again," he said, before asking how he was going to face Dlamini's family.

At the time of going to press it was not known if Msiza had told Dlamini's family that he had heard their daughter being killed.

Msiza's son, Frans, said he could not believe Dlamini "the love of my life", was dead.

"We were going to get married next month. We were so happy together and loved each other so much. She was my world.

"I can't believe I will never see Lungile again; that I will never hold her again," he said.

Dlamini's devastated mother, Jabu Nkosi, who was asleep when her daughter was killed, said she was at a loss.

"I do not know what to do. I begged her not to go to her brother's house this weekend, but she would not listen.

"Now she is dead. My beautiful Lungile is dead," she said.

Dlamini's sister, Sibongile, said when she heard her sister was going to her brother's home she had had a bad feeling.

"When I heard she was coming home on the train I told her not to. I told her it was dangerous, but she just laughed and said she would be fine.

"That is the last time I spoke to her. The next I heard she was dead," she said.

Eersterus police station spokesman, Constable Sam Shibambo, said a murder case was being investigated.

He said a post-mortem would be conducted to determine the cause of death and whether Dlamini had been raped. Shibambo said no arrests had been made.
This article was originally published on page 1 of Pretoria News on June 01, 2010

Report ID: 364
Crime Category: Murder
Province: Gauteng
Suburb: Eersterus
Address: Outside Ngakeng surgery in Eersterus
Crime Date/Time: 31 May 2010, 00:05 AM
Reported By: Report A Crime
Reported Date: 1 Jun 2010, 09:06 AM
Related Link: View

Start the conversation

Popular categories